The threaded discussions will provide the student with the opportunity to explore different topics, share what he/she is learning with classmates, and gain clarity about the content. This assignment reflects student centered, independent learning.
The students will:
- Apply critical thinking through participation of selected topics
- Engage in thoughtful discourse with peers
- Incorporate topic discussion into clinical judgment and decision making within practice setting
For each posted discussion question, the student is expected to:
- The initial post should be posted by . The questions below should serve as a guide to formulating your posting. Don’t just answer the questions, create a narrative paragraph(s) using the questions to direct your thinking.
- Support you initial discussion with a professional nursing journal that is no more than 5 years old.
- The original posts must be at least 300 words in length
- Discussion responses should demonstrate critical thinking skills and be thoughtful, promote, and respectful
- Post two responses to the original posts of any other classmates (100+ words per each response)
- Posting should ask for clarification, challenge (respectfully) ideas, or describe a situation that illustrates the points being made. Simply agreeing or disagreeing with a post is not adequate
- Worth 15 points / 5%
This discussion will address the topic of death and children. You have two options to choose from. When you post your initial post tell the reader which option you will be addressing.
Option 1: Thought about a child who is dying. Is a death of a child more tragic than the death of a middle age adult or an older adult? What if the child has a chronic condition and the adult experiences sudden death due to an accident? What actions would you take with the parents who child has died-does it matter if the child was ill or it was a sudden death? Describe you communication with the parents.
Option 2: You are caring for a Michael 11 years-old with Benjamin Button’s disease (progeria). Michael asks you if he is dying. He has seen the changes in his body. He knows that he has some kind of rare disease that is causing the problems, and that he comes to the hospital to management of the symptoms. He is currently being treated for cardiac and renal disorders. He has been hospitalized often but with this hospitalization his parents don’t ever leave is room. One of them is always with him. Discuss how you would respond to Michael. What resources could you use to assist in the conversation?